My Neighbourhood: Hel-Mel
The duo behind Parker Barrow wax on their cool L.A. ‘hood
Jef Hancock and Janette Ewen are partners at Parker Barrow Creative Studio, located off Melrose in Hel-Mel (a.k.a. Heliotrope and Melrose). The firm specializes in unique design objects and artisanal wallpapers printed in Los Angeles and will be bringing their SoCal style to the Vancouver Home and Design Show from October 22–25, where they’ll be designing the Floform Lounge (presented by Western Living!). Here, they share their love for their home turf.
5 Places to Visit in Hel-Mel:
1. Born and bred in L.A., Julio Romano, owner of Shampoolio hair salon, is (along with his well-loved pup, Morris) the unofficial mayor of Hel-Mel. Both locals and celebrity clientele make their way to his eclectic studio for great conversation, cutting-edge hairstyles and the “best blonde” in southern California. Romano also resides in the neighbourhood. “I love this area. It’s urban and beautiful. It truly is the runway of life,” he says. Recently, Romano launched a collection of organic, chemical-free hair-care products that are also handmade in Hel-Mel.
2. The two floors of Eric Berg’s Early California Antiques shop are chock-a-block with authentic Spanish colonial and Spanish revival treasures dating up to World War II. Given that it’s the only store in the world specializing in that style and era, customers often spend hours slowly enjoying Berg’s fabulous offerings.
3. Site of many a Parker Barrow meeting or break stop, Scoops has been a Hel-Mel go-to for more than 10 years and produces some of the best gelato in all of Los Angeles. Flavours include Dr. Pepper or olive oil with lava salt.
4. New on Melrose is Clad Home, a bright store and design studio full of stylish finds. From the custom upholstery line to the vintage mid-century modern furnishings and accessories, owner Rosa Beltran has captured a quintessential “casual comfort” style.
5. No visit to Hel-Mel is complete without a stop at the Faculty, home to our favourite sandwich (the Hot Italian) as well as a number of craft beers and boutique wines. The charming staff always provide delightful conversation and take a real interest in the community. Faculty is owned and operated by New York City native Mike Neufeld.